Baby Meet -n- Greet Invitation Wording; How to Say “No Gifts”?

Question by : Baby Meet -n- Greet Invitation Wording; How to Say “No Gifts”?
Hi. My baby is going to be born any day now and I’m making the invitations for the meet and greet we’re planning on having when the baby is 8 weeks old. We’re limiting visitors for the first two months to grandparents, my siblings (baby’s aunt and uncle) and our three closest friends, because it’s flu season and it would just be easier that way; our extended family is huge. My husband and I think a meet and greet, when the baby is a little older, is a great solution so our family members won’t be offended when we say no visitors.

Anyway, my mother already hosted a lovely baby shower for me. We already received numerous gifts and we have all the supplies we need. The baby meet -n- greet isn’t meant to be a gift giving event and we definitely don’t want people to think that it is. If someone wants to give us something (we didn’t find out the gender, so people have been telling me they want to buy gender specific clothes after the birth, it doesn’t matter either way though) that’s fine and it’ll be appreciated but we don’t expect it.

Is there a way we can write that on the invitation? I was thinking, “We only ask for your presence” or “Your presence is the best gift.” Any other phrases I could possibly write?
We’re hermits. Two months is nothing, especially with my parents coming around every so often. Plus, I’ll be busy breastfeeding and we’ll be adjusting with the new baby. And my mother has agreed to come once a week so I can get some time to go out and run errands. We feel it’s safer so that’s what we’re doing.

Best answer:

Answer by Blingha
No gift is greater than your presence?
A non-gifting event?
The only gift we will accept is your presence?
Congrats by the way.

Give your answer to this question below!

Rating 3.00 out of 5

6 Responses to Baby Meet -n- Greet Invitation Wording; How to Say “No Gifts”?

1. K on January 7, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Particularly given

“people have been telling me they want to buy gender specific clothes after the birth”

I fear you may be spoiling people’s fun here. I enthusiastically applaud your lack of greed here; this is refreshing.

But: just relatives, close relatives, and a handful of close friends? These are probably people who want to give you presents and will get you presents anyway. All this will do is make that inconvenient for them.

I would put the word out via the grapevine that you were already ‘showered’ and are looking forward to not being swamped with more etc; but telling Grandma she can’t bring her knitted booties or your best friend she has to find another time and place to give you the take-out pizza gift card — I wouldn’t do that. Again, a very kind intention, though.

2. Dixieland Delight on January 7, 2012 at 7:46 pm

I think you are saying it very tactfully. If somebody wants to get the baby something, that is fine, but you are just saying it is not expected. If you were any more forceful it might be rude, but I think you got it just right.

3. Jo Anna on January 7, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Why fart around the topic? why not just say “No gifts plz” with a little smiley face?

4. kjay on January 7, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Why not use a cute little poem?

Although we know how generous you are,
    *baby* has already had so many gifts thus far.
    Hoping not to offend, we ask you just to lend,
    Your time to help us celebrate this special day
    or
    we would love your well wishes
    And congratulations too,
    No gifts are necessary
    “baby” just would like to meet you!

I just googled those two then, there would be lots more!

5. cathrl69 on January 7, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Wow, you’re going to be miserable and lonely. Two MONTHS with barely any visitors? I’d honestly be _very_ careful about burning your boats to this extent.

If you don’t want gifts, then write “no gifts please” on the invitation. Anything else sounds like a cutesy “oh, you didn’t have to…” where actually people will feel they should.

6. Jae on January 7, 2012 at 10:12 pm

I think this is sch an awesome idea and I wish I thought of it when my daughter was born! You both are clever :-) Anyway, my dad recently had a house warming party and didn’t want people to bring gifts, so instead he offered and alternative: bring party favors! Then it’s not adding to an overabundance of things for the baby but people can bring things if they want and it will be something everyone at the gathering will enjoy. Unfortunately, I can’t remember exactly what the invitation said but it was something along the lines of “don’t bring us anything we can’t eat or drink!”
    PS
    Coming from experience, you won’t be bored in those two months without visitors..lol..I’m sure you’ll have plenty to take your time.

Get Adobe Flash playerPlugin by wpburn.com wordpress themes

Stupid gifts

www.stupid.com

Mothers gifts

You are the Next Red Carpet Star - Buy the Latest Celebrity Inspired Dresses at BoncyBoutique.com!
Hide me
Sign up below to join my eNewsletter
Show me